Pointer SA client case studies
Oil, Gas and Chemicals – HAZMAT
The client operates a number of vehicles that specialise in the transportation of HAZMAT materials such as oil, gas and other chemicals. The client transports a number or raw materials that need to be moved carefully to ensure the safety of the load as well as the environment.
This industry is highly regulated due to the new SANS 10231 – 2010 standard that specifies rules and procedures for the safe operation and management of all road vehicles used for the transport of dangerous goods in accordance with load constraints.
Dashboard Analytics are emailed daily to fleet managers and executives giving a snap shot graphical view on the fleet and driver performance and activities. Safety analytics reflects driver conformance and scoring, historical trends, ranking of lowest and highest driver scores. Fleet managers and HR can zoom in on the scorecard and reports zoom on and individual vehicle or driver performance.
Every driver and vehicle is uniquely identified within the system, with profiles constantly updated with on real-time information. My PSA also notifies both driver and fleet manager if the pre-defined thresholds are exceeded. It also efficiently manages tasks, driving time, rest stops, lunch stops, waiting stops and end of work. In fleets where several drivers share a vehicle, you’ll be able to remotely control vehicle access, so that only authorised drivers can drive designated vehicles.
Speeding is by far the main cause of accidents on our roads. Improving driver behaviour driving habits reduced the liabilities and costs incurred as a result of high accidents rate. In-cab speed buzzer alerts the driver in the cab when over speeding.
Fatigue monitoring for long-hauls is critical in ensuring drivers comply with regulatory driving hours. Fatigue hours are reported to fleet manager to take relevant action and steps.
Accident detection alerts the fleet manager when there has been an accident. Black box data allows for accident reconstruction and analysis before the event and after the accident has taken place.
- Improved Drive Safety– driver feedback tools ensure compliance with the most rigorous global driver regulations, enhancing driver and vehicle safety.
- Real-Time Reporting– with dashboard reports that score driver behavior and regional stats.
- An Immediate ROI - Right from the start, Pointer enables you to cut costs and gain control of your fleet utilization. From decreasing fuel consumption by reducing idling and revving and improving load management; through to proactive maintenance scheduling that ensures greater fleet utilization and less down time, you’ll be able to substantially save across your fleet and increase those savings over time.
Courier and Parcel Delivery:
Pointer SA was approached by South Africa’s largest courier service provider to develop a solution to manage the risk of load theft. The client’s concern is for the safety of the good they are carrying and to ensure that nothing is damaged or stolen before being delivered to the intended recipient.
For over eight years a solution has been successfully implemented and functioning, equipping the fleet operator to be in control of remotely opening and closing the cargo doors. The driver arrives at the point of delivery; the fleet operator is alerted once the vehicle is within the geo-fence to remotely open the cargo doors. The cargo doors were fitted with sensors that alerted the driver to any tampering should he not be with his vehicle. The alert’s are also recorded and reported to the management team.
An extensive range of proven technologies and services make up Pointer’s security solutions. Customised to address specific needs, components of the solution include pre-mapping for safe routes with alerts where heightened diligence is necessary; alarm systems; sensors; access control that disables vehicle; panic buttons; and analytic tools.
- 24/7/365, the support of Pointer’s Alarm Management Centre, with expert advisors assisting at every step. Pointer has the highest successful vehicle recovery rates in the industry at over 90%.
- Remote control of opening and closing cargo doors via electronic cargo door lock.
The solution resulted in the client having less incidences of theft and provided them with actionable data for a fast recovery.
- Enables a rapid, effective response, from authorities and our recovery teams, 24/7
- Alerts to unusual activity such as Panic, Battery Disconnect, GSM Jamming Detection , accident notification and route deviation
- Simple and quick integration with risk management companies and other software platforms
- Data mining and cross-data validation tools enable analysis of events to determine patterns and mitigate future events
- Tampering sensors help to manage risk and alert controllers in real time
- Manage unauthorised stops whilst en-route to delivery point
Public and Passenger Transport:
The client is a national tour bus operator with thousands of clients a year. Ensuring safety and efficiency is a large part of why they are considered formidable in their field.
The client experienced major challenges with excessive idling. Communities would call in from time to time to alert the Tour Bus operator when drivers were speeding.
The client found that their cost of fuel was high, and fuel consumption is a base operating cost for any transportation business and the client wished to reduce costs where they could.
Passenger safety is critical for the Tour Bus operator. Speed limits can be specified per the regulations or policies of the Tour Bus Operator by utilising speed geo-fences. The fleet controller is immediately alerted if a vehicle is speeding and contacts the driver to alert him to slow down. Alternative solutions implemented are the In-cab Speed LED light. When speed threshold is exceeded the LED lights up and driver is given a grace period to reduce speed before the next alert is sent to the fleet controller via the software platform.
Fuel consumption is a major contributor to expenses incurred. It is important to maintain maximum profitability the Tour Bus Operator has the tools to manage costs such as excessive fuel usage.
The Pointer solution integrates with the bus routes and scheduling systems, to keep passengers informed of times of bus ETA and departure. This works to correct scheduling of routes and ensuring check points are met all the time. Arriving on time is key service delivery to passengers relying on public transportation. Alerts are triggered for missed check points which are then recalculated.
Implementing the Pointer Passenger Transport solution has given the Tour Bus Operator visibility of speed limits that drivers are using and manage excessive idling to reduce fuel costs.
- Manage scheduling of routes
- Ensure that bus arrives timeously
- Take necessary action when there are delays in arrival
- Manage check points
- Check points recalculation
- Schedulers have control to find the closest vehicle in event of vehicle breakdown or accident.
- Detects, analyses and reports aggressive or dangerous driver behaviour
- Identifies over-speeding, hard braking, hard braking while turning corners, accelerating, accelerating while turning, lane-deviation and engine idling over pre-defined thresholds
- Advanced reporting provides safety officers and trainers valuable insight
- Integrates with your ERP module, allowing you to calculate the cost of service per mile run and more
- Managing excessive idling reduces fuel costs by over 20%.
Cold Chain monitoring
Transportation of perishable goods in varying weather conditions and environmental conditions can be complex and risk of significant costs losses. Our client a large operator in the FMCG industry approached us looking for a solution to manage cold chain whilst in transit from the main distribution centre to the stores.
The client was not having visibility of the temperature in the refrigerated trailer whilst the vehicle was in transit. Furthermore, the client could not determine if the driver stopped prior to the delivery point and if the cargo doors were opened prior to reaching his destination.
The Pointer solution rolled out was temperature monitoring devices and cargo door sensors linked to the telematics control unit. The temperature threshold was set and any break in the temperature threshold, the client was notified by an alert on the software. The fleet controller would take the necessary actions to manage the break in temperature. Cargo door sensors were fitted to the back doors and if the doors were opened before reaching the destination, the fleet controller would receive an alert and take necessary action and investigate.
The client was overwhelmed with the results of the solution implemented, as breaks in temperature decreased to the extent that 95% of all deliveries had consistent temperature from start of the trip to end of the trip. In addition to this the client was able to manage load theft and unauthorised stops during the trip. At the beginning stages of the project implementation drivers were skeptical however through the process default drivers where dealt with immediately. Word got out to the drivers and this increased safe and secure transportation of the full load to the clients stores.
Pointer SA Approved Dealers:
FS Fleet Management Bloemfontein
T:+27 (0)61 772 9564
Triple J Marketing Bloemfontein
T:+27 (0)82 823 0172
Top Gear Driving Academy
T:+27 (0)11 794 1410
Instafit - Martin Burev
T:+27 (0)79 502 4680